Question:
just curious.......?
raspberrysmom
2006-11-19 02:11:31 UTC
im just curious about what you think about my daughters name. her name is Raspberry Lilac. i personally love it. my mother in law is the only one who hates it so far. so i was just wondering what peoples opinions were on the name.
58 answers:
.
2006-11-19 02:39:52 UTC
She'll be teased all the way through school, because a raspberry is not just a fruit, it is also the sound kids make when they put their rolled fingers to their mouth and make a fluctuating noise like a fart. It's called a "raspberry". Are you sure you want your daughter to be the "butt" of everyone's jokes?

I would highly suggest that you give her a real name with deep significance and meaning, like parents use to in the days of old. Elizabeth means "God is my oath". Kathryn means "purity and unsoiled". Alvina means "faithful friend". Valerie means "to stand in valor". Deborah means "the Word of God". Though none of these names may be of personal interest to you, but can you begin to grasp the great importance behind the concept of naming your child, that the name will actually "mold" the character and being of your daughter. Try finding an alternative name with substance that will reflect the kind of person and human being that you hope and desire for your daughter to become. Raspberry is just shallow.
~M*a*N*d*Y~
2006-11-24 17:24:53 UTC
If you like Raspberry Lilac, then go for it. Don't worry about what other people think because you are the one who has to bring this child into the world. You will teach her right from wrong and tell her what she can and can't do and so on. It is your right as a mother to name your daughter something you like. Lilac is good, you could always call her Lilly for short to prevent all the name calling and so on. I think it's unique and out there and is something that isn't on the 100 top baby names. I had the same problem as you do except for with my mom. I wanted to name my daughter Whisper Arianna. My mom hated it so I took dad's advice, " You are the one having this child and bringing it into this world. You name the baby what you like because it is your child and no one elses." Good Luck
Minky
2006-11-26 20:08:42 UTC
I like it!! I have a 3 week old daughter and wish I had thought of using Lilac as her middle name!! Very original....and don't be bothered by rude comments from other people hun! If movie stars can name their daughters Apple......why not Raspberry?!!
marzipanthecat
2006-11-19 02:23:04 UTC
I shall assume you are from the USA - it means something a bit rude in the UK! Um, actually I don't think anyone here would call a child "raspberry" (it's a euphemism for "passing wind") and lilac is traditionally an unlucky flower, so it isn't a very common name at all (that, of course, is just superstition).

Personally, I think it's an OK name, although I admit I did a double-take, simply because it has another meaning here!
?
2006-11-19 15:07:01 UTC
Honestly I think Raspberry is a strange name but its your child. Think of some these celebrities with there children w/ wierder names. I love the Lilac part. Really pretty. I think its your baby you name it. CONGRATS ON YOUR BABY :-]

Think bout this in school she will most likely get nicknames some good some hurtful.
2006-11-19 02:22:35 UTC
I love the name lilac....raspberry not so much sorry but like your naming your daughter after a fruit...its like gwenth paltrow..who names their daughter apple??? you could just call her lilac for short and never use rasberry
Laela (Layla)
2006-11-26 15:16:40 UTC
Rasberry Lilac does not need a change - it reminds me of putting two incense sticks together one raspberry scent and the other a lilac scent. Just do whatever else you need to do.
Lady_Lavinia
2006-11-19 02:14:36 UTC
Lilac is pretty but i can pass on the Raspberry
Thilina Guluwita
2006-11-26 22:29:44 UTC
Maybe your Mother-in-law was right. I can accpet Lilac but raspberry is not matching or makes any sense. When your daughter's in school, others will definitely make fun of her. Don't spoil her future. didn't you ask anyone before you make such decisions?
angeleyes42o2001
2006-11-19 08:34:18 UTC
just remember you are the mother because she is already 3 months old it will be hard to change raspberry is a unusual name hope your daughter likes it
juztnutz
2006-11-26 16:44:13 UTC
If in doubt I always suggest prospective parents go to a playground and call out the name.

If a lot of children turn you know the name is really common

No one turns you have something unique

Parents turn, the name is out there and they are checking out who would inflict something like that on a child

Remember their name has to suit them as well at 80 as at 8
2006-11-25 23:46:54 UTC
It's unique hey! I like Lilac, not so keen on Raspberry though.

I bet she's beautiful!
♥♥em♥♥
2006-11-25 06:35:46 UTC
the poor girl! her name is a fruit!! a fruit! would you like to be in class and all of a sudden the teacher goes, "blueberry(or in this case raspberry), please come up to my desk"---ABSOLUTELY NOT!! how embarrassing for the poor little thing. how could you. If you were absolutely stuck on this name you should of at least changed the spelling a bit to, for example, rasberry or razpberry. i just cannot believe this.........where is this world going to?
2006-11-19 07:10:57 UTC
Just be prepared for her coming home from school crying alot from all the teasing......Raspberry?????? what where you thinking.

Just because celebrities call there kids Apple and Peaches doesn't mean you have to follow suit. What you gonna call your next kid? Banana for a boy and Kumquat for a girl...
o4_babygirl_o4
2006-11-19 08:13:58 UTC
welll...its okey to be unusalu when you come to your kids names but then you haev to think about your child as an adult with that name and what other kids will tese her about in school, because kids can get really mean when they want to and picking on someones name is their main target...i wante dto choose and unusaul name for my daughter and even before i had her friends adn family where coming up with ryhmes that did not make me happy adn i just want to do what is best for my child and give her the best advantage and giving her a name that people will tease her about, is setting her up for a tough time when she starts school, so we went with some family names because it made out parents feel like we wanted to carry on their family in her!
star
2006-11-19 05:09:59 UTC
as long as you like the name that's the only thing that

matters. my daughter named her youngest son Gabriel

and I'm not real fond of that name but I don't love him

any less than my other grandchildren because I don't

like his name. I just call him Gabe. This is your child and

your choice.
Lov'n IT!
2006-11-19 02:20:04 UTC
It's different but I don't like the middle name.
2006-11-26 19:39:08 UTC
I think that you just put her through a world of teasing. Little kids are crewl and they will torment her to hell and back. Separately the names are great, but together they just don't mesh. It also makes you automatically think of the scents and they don't do together either.
s n
2006-11-25 17:38:52 UTC
I do like it, but at the same time it makes me think of that joke about blueberryhill. I hope for your daughter she gets a cool nickname.
yasminlovesya
2006-11-24 16:22:28 UTC
uhhh that name is really weird the kid is going to hate u naming her after a fruit i no wonder Ur mother-in -law hates the name . that's horrible. what did Ur husband think of that name .
2006-11-19 02:15:59 UTC
Sounds lovely.
lennie
2006-11-26 09:32:54 UTC
It doesn't matter what anyone thinks, You are the parents and no matter what, your mother in law will get used to it, its her grandchild. I'm not crazy about it, but everyone to there own.
2006-11-19 06:44:07 UTC
It is definitly unique but i like it! So far all 3 of my girls have strange names
Nattiedred
2006-11-19 04:50:38 UTC
If you liked that name for your daughter then that is all, why question it. Mother in laws never like anything, but that is fine cause it is your decision not hers. Everyone isn't going to like it and everyone isn't going to dislike it.
uknowme
2006-11-19 02:14:23 UTC
I don't like it. It's so out there. Fad names are like fad clothing, they go out of fashion. Your daughter has to live with this her entire life, hopefully 100 yrs.
MJane21
2006-11-19 02:20:45 UTC
Sorry I don't like it but if you are happy with the name that the main thing
starr67
2006-11-26 19:21:31 UTC
like you said shes your child and you chose her name for a reason.havent figured that out yet but one things for sure,nobody else will have the same name.
mrs mylan
2006-11-19 19:40:41 UTC
People make choices. Your daughter has to live with yours.
sexxychula
2006-11-26 21:46:08 UTC
i love the name i dont know why your mother in law wont like it.
stormy
2006-11-19 02:21:11 UTC
my opinion is that you should choose between raspberry and liliac . the combination is to hard to pronounce and it has no sense ..
cblock199
2006-11-19 08:59:34 UTC
i dont really care for that name too much but it is very very unique.

i think that you baby girl will be teased for haveing that name, but it is just a name .

i dont like it to much but every person is different and i think that all that matters is wat the mommy and daddy like.

good luck with your baby by the way !!
whosaysdiscoisdead
2006-11-24 18:31:05 UTC
I'm not terribly fond of it, but its not my child. Its too "hippy". If you and your husband like the name who cares what anyone else's opinion is. ESPECIALLY YOUR MOTHER-IN-LAW!!!!!
sweetness #1
2006-11-26 20:39:08 UTC
i think your baby's name is beautiful. do not let your meddeling mother in law persuade you to change her name. be firm and tell her that the baby is not hers to name and tell her to like it or lump it
NiC tHe ChIcK
2006-11-26 17:01:47 UTC
i personally do not like it but it is your choice to name her that and she might gon thru lots of problems at school like people making fun of her name.
yyyeah.
2006-11-24 19:20:31 UTC
no offense or anything personal, but i think its a cute name-- but the odds are that she'll be teased alot! everybody will call her Fruity. nobody enjoys being call fruity.
Urchin
2006-11-19 07:09:01 UTC
Please don't name your daughter after a little red fruit. Flower names are nice. But, it is your little girl and you should name her what you like.
e_lace1
2006-11-19 02:21:44 UTC
I think it is so pretty! You can call her Ras for short- Love her name =)
?
2006-11-19 02:15:05 UTC
ha! well u must be joking. if not, give her until shes 18 and shell change her name
lisa
2006-11-25 16:19:03 UTC
horrible choice Raspberry poor kid
down2earthgurl14
2006-11-19 15:31:06 UTC
I like it because it's different.I would have never thought of naming my kid that but now that I hear it it sounds cute.
hellokitty_19_2002
2006-11-19 07:55:46 UTC
ITS THE FIRST TIME I EVER HERD IT SO I REALLY LIKE THEM BOTH IT IS DIFFERENT AND VERY UNIQUE SO YOUR MOTHER IN LAW WILL HAVE TO GET USE TO IT
2006-11-19 03:43:29 UTC
really do not like it one little bit........ sorry

come to think of it, it sounds like something of the kids programme strawberry shortcake, you know like apple blossom or cherry pie
helperwhoneedshelp
2006-11-25 11:33:58 UTC
fruit names are more common than people think/.....my cuz named hers apple-blueberry (after her fav pie) and thats only her first name........I do think fruit names r cute though.........I'd be very proud.
rebeca_16_2000
2006-11-27 00:31:08 UTC
I love it! If only my husband would let me get away with one of those... *sigh*
LITTLE LADY
2006-11-24 16:51:16 UTC
it's different I like it you don't want your child having the same name as everybody else that's your child so if her grandprents don't like that's their problem
vrushali53
2006-11-27 01:21:25 UTC
it is unique .. but i dont like it & if my name was the same i would have changed it..
2006-11-19 02:15:11 UTC
your poor little child will be TEASED horribly in school and outside of school! sorry
2006-11-19 04:35:22 UTC
sounds nice
George K
2006-11-20 19:26:00 UTC
That is one cool name.But different,good for you.
leasa
2006-11-25 10:06:20 UTC
It is definitely unique!
wildcat30
2006-11-26 16:06:41 UTC
sound like something you find in the medicine aisle sorry
You Are My Sunshine<333
2006-11-25 11:45:09 UTC
i don't know........i'm kind of stcuk in between! but it doesn't matter what other people think! if you and your husband like it, does it really matter what your inlaws think??
lovena
2006-11-19 04:34:10 UTC
quite nice but people can tease her
indijanchek
2006-11-26 17:13:43 UTC
its ok by me, but i think i will not give my child that kind of name....
WESTIE GURL
2006-11-19 02:14:58 UTC
well its different darl...i personally wouldnt pick it but hey i do like it.
rickblck
2006-11-19 09:01:06 UTC
trust me your kid will hate you the rest of your life and change it as soon as she can !!!!
ally j
2006-11-25 18:30:34 UTC
it's differant but ok
She Said